Thursday, December 17, 2020

A STORY THAT WILL TOUCH YOU DEEPLY - LULU & BETTY: GROWING UP IN CHANGING TIMES BY PATRICIA SAWYERS FISKE. ALL PROFITS GO TO THE UNITED METHODIST CHILDREN'S HOME IN DELTONA, FL


 Our story about Betty and Lulu, who grew up in peaceful times, begins in 1933, during the depression, and ends in the early forties as prosperity returned, as our country began mobilizing for World War II. I started this book because I thought it would be beneficial for young people, like my talented granddaughter, Maria, to contrast growing up during the past seventy-five years, with my formative years, a time of peace, from 1927-1941. Our childhoods were so very different. I’ve watched my granddaughter entertain herself with technology from an early age. While she missed knowing about doodlebugs, she can always look them up on her I-Phone or laptop. From a very early age, she was aware of world events; whereas, I didn’t realize that my back yard in Kerrville, Texas, was not the center of the Universe until I started to school.


This book is a real joy to read. It follows all the personal experiences of two friends who grow up during the depression and World War II eras. Their many youthful experiences in this challenging era will take some elders back to another time and allow young readers to share a different world. Patricia Sawyers Fiske is no longer with us, but her story will touch you deeply.

Reviewed in the United States on October 28, 2020

I bought this book from the publisher at the recommendation of my friend and neighbor Bev, who passed away in 2019.
I loved Patricia Sawyers novel Lulu and Betty Growing up in Changing Times. It took me on a journey back through time, to the days my mother spoke of, when life was simpler, and children’s games were taken from nature, and the imagination could do wonders with just a little.
Reading of the meeting between Betty and Lulu and following them from childhood to young women when the world changed for everyone, and WWII happened.
It is a wonderfully written story, and one I believe is more of a memoir than fiction.
Kudos to Ms., Sawyers Fiske, I would have loved to have known her and sat with her for hours just listening. I know my mother would have loved talking with her too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Another great installment in the Dark Knights of Heaven." His Soul to Save (Dark Knights of Heaven Book 3) by TW Knight

Soulless and exiled from Heaven the Dark Knights have spent millennia protecting humanity from Lucifer and his demons. But the longer they l...